Friday, September 21, 2012

30





30 years ago today, you were born into the world.

As many times as I've tried, I've failed to find words that communicate all the love that I have for you. Usually when I think about it too much, I cry.

I was blind when New York City offered you up to me. You almost slipped away. Can you imagine all that would have never been? I cannot. After our first time out, on that cold December night, I could not imagine my life without you in it. I remember you coming to my apartment on 95th late at night after your studies at Columbia. Your ears were always red with cold and I would rub them as the Christmas tree lights danced across your face. We tried to watch Toy Story 3 five times. We never finished it. Instead we talked and talked until early morning when our eyes were too heavy with sleep to continue. You'd put me to bed and with your thin jacket you'd leave. Such a gentleman you were.

After three weeks, I left for Utah. I missed you like mad. You sent me a stuffed donkey in a big box and I slept with him close. It was then that I knew that my life had changed, that I had changed.

I arrived at JFK at 5:30am and rushed out into the cold and snow to hail a cab. I came straight to York Avenue and rang your bell. Sleepily, you buzzed me in and waited for me with your door open. Your apartment was warm and smelled like home. I never left.

Ilias, I love you as much as one person can love another. Sometimes it feels like much more. You are in my blood now, a part of me, helping to keep me alive.

Thank you for your loyalty, your patience, your support and your love that seems to know no bounds. You make my life so fun and so beautiful and you inspire me each day to be better.

 Happy 30, my love. Looking forward to all that awaits us.


1 comment:

  1. Love it.....Love you....since the first time I saw you!!!....and forever!!!
    Thank God you texted back......
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete